Friday, June 12, 2009

Rand Holmes and Wally Wood



If there were ever any doubt that underground artist Rand Holmes developed his art style by emulating Wallace Wood, these two examples should clear that up. Passed on by Patrick Rosenkranz, author of the soon-to-be-released Rand Holmes retrospective we wrote about earlier (and which can be pre-ordered here: http://www.amazon.com/Artist-Himself-Rand-Holmes-Retrospective/dp/1606991701 ) passes along these two pages from Holmes' sketchbook, each conveniently labeled by the artist, "Wood steal." Thanks, Mr. R! Can't wait to see your book!

1 comment:

  1. I've always loved Rand Holmes' work. In an interview I did a couple years ago, I cited fellow Canadian Rand Holmes as somebody I really wished I had met. One of the final stories I drew for ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE DARK was scripted specifically for me...the EC-inspired "Spa Tront!" and I dedicated it to "Wally W & Rand H". I've already got Rosenkranz's book on order.

    ReplyDelete